Of all the little tools and trinkets you use on a daily basis, one of the most ubiquitous is likely your garage door opener. It’s such a simple little gadget, yet without it you would not even be able to go to work, transport your kids to their activities, run errands, go out to dinner or keep your car and other belongings safe and clean. You depend on your garage door opener for a lot of different things, so when it starts malfunctioning, you likely want to take care of the problem as quickly as possible.
As a business that sells and fixes garage door openers in McDonough, GA, we know how easily a broken opener can negatively affect our customers’ daily routines. When you come to us with your problems, we are almost always able to fix them simply and easily. However, there are some advantages to knowing how to troubleshoot problems with garage door openers in McDonough, GA for yourself. You might be able to fix a problem within a couple minutes if you are lucky, and at the very least, it will be easier for you to communicate the problem to a professional. Here’s a look at some of the most common garage door opener problems people can experience, and how the average homeowner can take steps to fix them.
- The door: Occasionally, what people think is a problem with their garage door opener isn’t actually a problem with the opener at all. Sometimes the problem is actually that your garage door is misaligned or has something blocking it, which can make it seem like your opener is failing to open the door correctly. Before you ditch your garage door opener for a new one, make sure the problem isn’t actually with your door.
- Wires and switches: Much like a television remote control, a garage door opener is a simple device that uses a few wires and switches. If you are at all technologically savvy, it might be worth it to open up the device yourself and peek around for any broken or misaligned wires or gears. If you can find the manual for your opener online, that will make it even easier, as you will have a comparison photo to work with.
- Batteries: Sometimes, the solution to a machine-related problem is almost frustratingly simple: just replace the batteries! A garage door opener’s battery is intended to last a long time, but no battery can last forever, and it’s entirely possible that a dead battery is your issue.
- Safety sensors: Most garage doors come equipped with sensors, and the door won’t budge if the sensors can detect something in the way blocking them. If your garage door won’t close all the way but the area is completely cleared, your garage door sensors might be misaligned. You can check the alignment yourself, or ask a professional to do it for you.
- Ask a professional: If you’ve checked out these possible issues and still can’t find any answers, it’s time to seek professional assistance. For help with all your issues with garage door openers in McDonough, GA, we hope you’ll trust the team at Affordable Dock & Door.