While garage doors may look rock solid and impervious to any sort of damage, they’re not! In fact, dents and dings in garage doors are a lot more common than you may think. It doesn’t take much force to put a dent in your door, which is why Affordable Dock & Door gets many calls for garage door repair in McDonough, GA. Even though we can fix all sorts of dents, we want you to know that it’s not always necessary to call the pros to fix minor problems. Continue reading to learn how you can repair small dents in your garage door:
- Step 1: Just like taking care of a flesh wound, the first step in garage door repair is to clean the affected area. Add one teaspoon of dish soap to a bucket of water. Dip a sponge in the soapy water and thoroughly clean any dirt and grime out of the dent. Hose the soap off and wait at least an hour for it to dry.
- Step 2: Head back into the kitchen and grab your roll of aluminum foil. Unroll and cut a piece that’s long enough to cover the dent, and make sure there’s enough excess foil to hold against the door.
- Step 3: Get a lighter and compressed air canister from inside. Place the piece of aluminum foil against the door, making sure you’re completely covering the whole dent.
- Step 4: While holding the foil over the dent with one hand, use the lighter and move the flame back and forth over the dent for one minute. At this point, it may be a good idea to ask someone to help you out with the repair job. Having another pair of hands to hold the foil can make the process a whole lot easier.
- Step 5: After a minute has passed, remove the foil and spray the dent with the liquid from your air canister for 30 seconds.
- Step 6: Sit back and watch the magic happen! The temperature difference between the hot flame and the super cold liquid carbon dioxide from your canister will force the dent to pop out, usually within two minutes.
- Step 7: Get your hose out again and clean off the area to get rid of any excess liquid carbon dioxide.
If this DIY trick doesn’t help repair the dent all the way, you may have to call the pros. This method works for small dents, but if the dent is too deep or too wide, the liquid carbon dioxide and flame won’t fully fix the situation. A professional garage door repair technician has the right tools to repair larger dents and get your garage door looking as good as new in no time at all.
The next time you put a dent in your door, try to fix it using the steps mentioned above. If that doesn’t work, though, give Affordable Dock & Door a call! We have years of experience with garage door repair in McDonough, GA, so you can trust that there’s no job we can’t tackle.