The benefits of having a garage during colder months can’t be understated. First, you don’t have to worry about scraping off your windshield on cold mornings. Second, you don’t have to face cold winds every time you get out of your car to go inside! Unfortunately, garage doors aren’t impervious to winter weather. Follow these tips from a longtime provider of garage door services in McDonough, GA to avoid any major problems this upcoming season:
- Monitor your door: In most cases, garage doors don’t just break all of a sudden. Doors will usually give off small signs that they’re about to stop working before they actually do. Is your door making a grinding noise when it opens and closes? Is it slow to open when you press the button? Are there any noticeable cracks or dents in the metal? These are all things to watch out for! It’s a good idea to call for professional repair as soon as you notice any signs of a problem. The sooner you address the issue, the cheaper the repair is likely to be.
- Inspect and lubricate the springs: Your garage door is made up of several very important components that all have to work in harmony for your door to open and close. The springs above your garage door’s track are some of the biggest players in the system. Unfortunately, these springs can break after a while, which makes the door difficult (if not impossible) to open. You can help prevent any spring issues by inspecting them for signs of damage and having them replaced before they snap. It’s also not a bad idea to lubricate them every once in a while.
- Clean the whole garage: They say cleanliness is next to godliness, and that’s certainly the case when it comes to your garage! Keeping a clean garage is a good way to help ensure you don’t run into any problems this winter that require calls for garage door services in McDonough, GA. Before winter sets in, do a deep clean and remove any clutter that could impede your garage door’s ability to open and close properly. This will only take a few minutes and could save you hundreds of dollars in repair costs.
- Check your weather stripping: Your door’s weather stripping plays a big role in keeping cold air and winter weather out of your garage. But after a while, the weather stripping can start to fall apart and become less effective than it once was. Double check your weather stripping and replace it if it’s looking a little worn.
- Add insulation: Fiberglass insulation isn’t just for your home’s walls and attic. Your garage needs to be well insulated, too! Insulation does wonders to keep warm air in and cold air out. If your garage has the right amount of insulation, frigid temperatures are less likely to affect your fragile garage door parts. On top of that, you’ll be amazed at how much more comfortable your garage can be if it’s properly insulated in the winter.
Follow these tips, and your door will surely make it through the winter without running into any problems. But if your door does require repairs or replacement, be sure to call Affordable Dock & Door for help. Our professionals have years of experience working with garage doors, so you can trust that we can fix any problem as soon as possible.