The heavy machinery and sophisticated equipment that’s used at loading docks across the world has boosted productivity and increased capacity over the last several decades. However, this equipment and machinery can also create an added level of risk on a dock. Without the proper safety precautions and protocols, workers are at risk of serious injury and even death as a result of equipment malfunctions. The best way to minimize risk and promote safety on a dock is to educate employees about precautions, invest in regular dock repair service in McDonough, GA and keep track of heavy machinery so that you can spot issues before they cause safety concerns:
- Be cautious with forklifts: Forklifts offer a zippy way to move things from one place to another, but their speed can be a problem. If employees are maneuvering in forklifts with reckless abandon, they’re likely to collide with something or someone. Make sure to enforce safe forklift operation, and ensure that only licensed and certified individuals are permitted to operate this machinery.
- Keep up on regular maintenance: Servicing the machinery and equipment on your docks is essential. Without consistent inspections and maintenance, your machinery is susceptible to damage, which can create unsafe conditions for your employees.
- Secure machinery: Make sure that smaller machinery with wheels is locked in place with chocks or brakes when it’s not in use to prevent it from rolling away and causing damage or injury. As trailers are unloaded, they should be securely kept in place with durable truck restraints.
- Encourage communication: When employees communicate, they greatly reduce their risk of being injured. If employees notify each other as they move around the loading dock and raise awareness about safety concerns that might arise, they will be much more equipped to avoid injury and adapt to unsafe circumstances.
- Reduce clutter: Loading docks should be kept clean and clutter-free to prevent tripping. Even small debris is enough to interfere with the operation of machinery like forklifts and dollies. It’s also important to fill in any holes or unevenness in pavement to reduce tripping hazards.
- Keep employees informed: Safety comes first in any workplace, and it’s especially important on loading docks, where potential hazards are plentiful. It’s a good idea to hold regular safety trainings and put up signage to inform employees of safety protocols on the loading dock.
One of the most effective ways to keep your loading dock safe for your employees is to invest in dock repair service in McDonough, GA from Affordable Dock & Door. We offer a wide range of dock services and products that are designed to boost efficiency and promote safety at loading docks. We are proud to be a family owned and operated business with decades of experience and a dedication to quality work and strong customer service. We can walk you through all of our services and help you find loading dock solutions that are tailor-made for your business needs. For more information, or to get an estimate, please give us a call today.